Friday 23 January 2009

Lady Godiva

I learnt an interesting fact this week, one which I admit I have had rows about previously and it appears I have been wrong. Merchants in England and Wales do not have to accept Scottish bank notes if they don't wish to.

Now I always thought they did as they were same value and had the same wording relating to payment to bearer as the Bank of England notes. I knew Jersey money was not legal, but had no idea Scottish was discretionary.

it was brought to my attention as there is a campaign North of the boarder to make these notes compulsory tender. I am not sure why as most places do accept them, but the sweaties are always looking for something to dis the rest of the Country with.

The Bank of Scotland ( soon to be Lloyds Group) , The Clydesdale bank and Royal bank all produce their own notes, and there is a fine old market in forged notes which fly around at and during the Edinburgh festival.

I wonder how much it costs them to print the stuff, either they should stop and save themselves the overhead in these times of banking crisis, or they should work a few extra weekends at the print producing extra to eradicate the debt they have racked up with the government!

No comments: