Friday 13 March 2009

Cafe Society

The second print which I brought from The Tup took a while to research, but the job is now done. I had effectively taken a punt on it knowing the pedigree of the other two prints. The signature, however, proved difficult to decipher.

Well, God bless Google is all I can say. After a few hours trying combinations up popped David Schneuer. and further research indicated the print was called 'April Cafe'. it is part of a series of very similar prints with names like Autumn Cafe, Beer Garden, Cafe Dome and Cafe Bastille.

Schneuer was a Swiss who was incarcerated by the Germans during the Second World War and was eventually repatriated to Israel where he worked until his dead in 1989. For some reason he painted typical Parisian scenes, with a touch of Toulouse Lautrec about them.

April Cafe is a huge print, and where to hang it is proving a challenge. it won't go in the car so can't go to Scouse at the moment, so the Chis living room looks fav.

Given the house is still not selling ( at my price anyway) I am going to give the downstairs the treatment during April and May. It should look good in its new surroundings. Its amazing that the place has been on the market for nearly two years now.

Just as I am back from hols,I have been notified that I am being stood down from the RBS project in Edinburgh so that gives me an unexpected few weeks leisure time to tune my golf and potter. It is ironic that, as I write, about a couple of prints I have purchased, Sir Freddie is once more under fire for failing to secure the ABN AMRO art collection as part of the deal which put RBS in the soft stuff in the first place.....

No comments: