Monday 6 July 2009

I'm still standing, yeah ,yeah , yeah

SWMBO and number one daughter ran the Race For Life round Birkenhead Park yesterday. She had been training very hard for it and completed it in a very commendable 31 minutes. About 4500 people took part and as you can see each of them got a medal . This seems to be the modern trend these days, and in this case I do wonder why any of the finishers would need one. It would probably save the charity a few bob as well.

In childrens sport the trend became known to me at the end of a Twickenham RFC mini rugby day when the awards were given out. The coach of the Welsh side, which had been battered by all the other teams asked where his boys medals were? Eh, you did not win any was the reply. This apparently was not good enough, as all the children were expecting them. Its what happens. So hurried searches for more were made and the boys went back happy.

It all seems to be part of the 'nobody loses' theme that continues to run through the school curriculum at the moment, and don't get me started on the school that banned parents from sports day in case a paedophile turned up in the crowd......do get a grip, please .

Anyway, very well done to 'er indoors, I am just off to see if I can run the route quicker. I am not feeling too confident though, I have a zero and two record where SWMBO and I go head to head on the running stakes!

No comments: