Monday 13 December 2010

What did you say?

One of the joys of linking modern technology and working practice is the ability to work from home. I do it a lot myself , and to be honest I go stir crazy when, for long periods of time I have no face to face contact.
The postman tries his best to pass the time of day, as does the lad in the paper shop, but at the end of the day there is no substitute for water cooler conversations. (Another Americanism to quietly infiltrate the English language)

I wonder whether, if I were to install one in the front wall of the house, people would stop and have a chat about interesting day to day matters like the X Factor results, Coronation Streets 4 deaths and a wedding, or the student riots. It may become famous as the 21st Century answer to the horse trough.

Without such a vehicle around which to base my daily people time I am forced to use the medium of conference calling to communicate with people. This clip shows the problems that can throw up.

So I hear you cry, I really must get out more, however, with expense cutbacks limiting travel, the local Post Office closed down, and my health being such that a visit to the local surgery would be seen as lead swinging, I am resigned to talking to myself, and we've had a good day today haven't we old son?

No comments: