Thursday 4 August 2011

Tunnel vision

I went for an MRI scan last night at the Clatterbridge centre for oncology. There is no need to get worried, the oncology department has the permanent scanner and is quite close to home, and it was some inflammation and pain in my foot which is the problem.

The doctor called it a form of tendinitis affecting the hollow foot tendon. The hollow foot tendon (aponeurosis plantaris) runs from the heel bone under the sole, and is attached to all five toes. The hollow foot tendon is a functional extension of the Achilles tendon, and is instrumental in maintaining the arch running the length of the foot.

I had the classic symptoms; pain when running and playing golf, as well as when applying pressure at the attachment point of the hollow foot tendon directly under the heel bone. The pain is often most pronounced slightly on the inner side of the attachment although in my case it was the outer.

I was prescribed anti-inflammatories, and asked to leave it a while. if there was no improvement then a corticosteroid injection would be necessary. The reason for the MRI was to ensure they knew what they were doing with the needle as a number of injuries requiring treatment can easily be overlooked during a clinical examination. In cases where satisfactory progress is not in evidence, an ultrasound examination is performed as early as possible. Ultrasound scanning enables an evaluation of the extent of the change in the tendon; inflammation of the tendon (tendinitis), development of cicatricial tissue (tendinosis), calcification, inflammation of the tissue surrounding the tendon (peritendinitis), inflammation of the bursa (bursitis), as well as (partial) rupture

I hope none of this is relevant to me, as the initial pain has now subsided and I was able to get out running last night after I came back. If it turns out to be a heel spur or similar I guess I will have to live with that as surgical removal is not usually performed these days.


Anyway, back to the scanner. Its a scary beast which rumbles and grumbles as it performs its analysis. As it was my ankle under investigation I went in feet first and my head was able to stay outside the machine. The process took 45 minutes and hopefully they got my whole foot in the scanning process as my big toe has started to play up and it would be useful if that was diagnosed as well.

That could be gout or arthritis or any number of other things, but that's something to worry about once the results come back. Clatterbridge is under review at the moment, with many of the general hospital functions being relocated to Arrowe Park. The Oncolcogy unit is also rumoured to be moving to the Royal in Liverpool which would be a disappointment as having such facilities close to home is always a bonus.

No comments: