Tuesday 10 January 2012

Ugandan Discussions

I have finally found time to sort and assess my Christmas presents. Its not a hard task, it just needs a few quiet moments.

I get quite a few golf related presents, balls and clothing mainly, and they are always appreciated. It is a bit bizarre, though, to think that the balls will be in somebody else's pocket by the end of the year, or in a lake or deep in the deepest wood!

I got shirts, and jumpers, most of which were self selected, so they were a good gift. I also got a pair of shoe spikes to save me falling over too much on the ice and snow should it recur, and a pilates mat for my stretching classes!!!

My other gifts were literary in nature. My main gift was a Kindle and I will be experimenting with that shortly. I also got a book of maps relating to the house we live in at the moment. I think that deserves a blog entry of its own. Lastly I got the 50th anniversary book of Private Eye to go with the ten year and 25 year histories I already have.

It did, however, amaze the family when I indicated to them that I had been a contributor to the famous organ sometime in 1987. I also recall receiving a cheque for about £120 for the article.

My contribution all stemmed from plans which Thames Water and a company called Themeworld had for the rugby pitches which were used at the time by Twickenham rugby club. Themeworld were fronted by Rod Hull and Emu and the plan was to develop a theme park much like Alton Towers, on the site of the pitches.

Well there was uproar at the time as the park would have been developed in a fairly residential area of West Middlesex. We, therefore, started a publicity and opposition campaign which embraced the local MP of the time, Toby Jessel. I thought I would be somewhat satirical and using Rod Hull as a taxidermist, I wrote an article which Private Eye considered of sufficient humour and interest to publish in their news section at the rear of the organ.

I really must try to find the original piece as I am sure the kids don't believe me!!

2 comments:

Richard Donkin said...

I'd like to see it too. I could match you on two of the presents - the snow spikes and the Private Eye book.

Richard Donkin said...

Ah, I see it's there. I'm behind with my Philanderer reading.