Thursday 26 July 2012

And they're off....

It's Olympic Games time, and I am trying to be positive about them, albeit they have done me no favours over the last few years. Indeed they have done me no favours next week as I have had to change my hotel in West London as it is slap bang in the middle of the cycle road race and I would have no access to my car for most of the day. let's hope Bradley Wiggins does the business in that one and then BBC sports personality of the year 2012 should be a nailed on certainty.

The Games kicked off yesterday with a spot of ladies footie. the standard is certainly improving, and isn't it great that they don't fall over at the slightest touch, or scream at the ref all the time, the male professional game should look and learn. They won't of course.

I played golf last night with a gentlemen who was at the opening ceremony of the 1948 games in London, as a seven year old, and he has moved heaven and earth to get tickets for the opening ceremony on Friday, that must be a great feeling for him. he said he could remember the 1948 event like it was yesterday, so I hope he has a  really enjoyable experience in Stratford, regardless of the fact hotel prices in the area are 400% higher than normal.

I have not given up hope of getting to the stadium for the athletics. Usually sponsors tickets get returned last minute so I am looking daily to see what's around. It might need to be a day trip, but at least we can say ' we were there!'

1 comment:

Richard Donkin said...

If you can make it there, do go. It's brilliantly organised and a great atmosphere in the park. There's a lot of people and there might have been a bit more entertainment but you wouldn't know there was so much security. I never saw a single gun and only noticed two police on horseback. The military guys are very low key and friendly as you'd expect. The best crowd handling I've ever seen.