Tuesday 11 December 2012

Hoo wants a Hooch

Its strange when a bit of your past comes back to haunt you, but that's what happened on Sunday.

I had had a very productive morning at the golf club. My partner, Frank, and I had come second in the annual turkey trot which meant the Christmas dinner was taken care of. As the name implies, the prizes were turkeys, so just the beef and ham to worry about now, which is useful.

I then decided I would join number 2 son in the local pub, and that's where I had deja vu all over again.  The bar staff were all wearing t-shirts to promote the relaunch of the alcho pop 'Hooch'. Now when I was in the last years of my rugby career the older members of the team would assemble on a Sunday in The Prince Blucher on Twickenham Green, and play spoof in Holty corner.

For those not familiar with spoof there is a wikipedia explanation which summarises it better than I could here. In essence, the first person to successfully leave the game goes to the bar and orders the drinks, the last person remaining  then has to pay for them!! In every case our nominated drink was a bottle of orange Hooch with a shot of vodka poured into it. We may well have had five or six rounds of spoof on a particularly well attended Sunday session, which meant the first part of Monday morning could be particularly fuzzy.

I wonder if it will make a comeback?

No comments: