Thursday 10 January 2013

Into 2013

The festive season is now behind us, and I am frankly pleased about that. I usually enjoy Christmas, but this year was strange. Having retired in early November it  became evident to people that I 'had time on my hands' and could do a lot of the preparation. This at a time when I had more pressing early retirement things to do.

Anyway I juggled and survived. It was kids away year for Christmas Day so we had my mother (87) and SWMBO parents ( both in seventies) together with number two son, who, at 26, brought the average age down and saved us from it turning into Cocoon, the Christmas Special. Got some good presi's though

New Year SWMBO and I ran away to Scotland and stayed on the banks of Loch Lomond for a few days. It was too wet under foot to play golf or to do too much walking, but we found enough else to do. New Years Eve was typically Scottish. The haggis was addressed and toasted, a marching pipe band saw in 2013, and the hotel very kindly put gifts in the room, together with a lump of coal. We were on a mixed table which worked well, and we did manage to participate in some of the Calieh dances, like the Gay Gordon's and Strip the Willow.

So now that we are into 2013, I can start to plan the year ahead. I have terminated my signing on ritual with the DWP, as there was no monetary benefit and I have learnt how the process works. I have access to all their web sites through the Government Gateway so can look for and apply for jobs as I wish.

I did put my CV into one Company before Christmas, but got knocked back. It was to work for Chubby Chandler, the sports agent. I think the role was that of Darren Clarke's drinking partner, and in that area I was obviously found lacking.

I have a knee op to get out of the way next week, after which I am hoping to be able to target a few 5k and 10k fun runs later in the Summer as well as the Santa dash in December.

I have a huge box of photo's going back thirty years or more which I am planning to scan onto my laptop and have enrolled on a Photoshop class to learn how to tidy them up a bit. First class was today and it turned out to be registration only. The tutor did not engage very well on first impressions, but we will see how we go. Its the subject matter which will be more important.

As well as the shed project and the office which needs redesigning and decorating, I am once more progressing air source heat pumps, both for the pool and for the house hot water system. Technology seems to have moved on since I last looked so it will be interesting to see if there are savings to be made. Its not so much for us, but as a reselling feature whenever we need to.

I have a significant birthday in early March so have already lined up my B & Q heritage card which gets 10% off everything on a Wednesday. I need to apply for my Mereseytravel free pass and my senior citizens rail card. With the latter I will be able to attend several pre-Christmas knee's-up in London during December as well as any Autumn internationals we choose to go to. Any subsequent medical treatments can be sorted out with the free prescriptions I get, which I can read with the glasses from Specsavers for which I get 25% off.

Ah, yes, I have one New Years resolution, to buy no clothes, shoes or golf attire, except for essential socks and underwear. A recent wardrobe audit indicated I had more that enough NWT to get through the next 12 months at least.

Anyway we shall see, but all in all its going to be a hectic year.

No comments: