Monday 6 May 2013

Adrian Stanley, actor

Adrian Stanley was a repertory theatre player during the second world  war, and early 1950's before moving to South Africa where he produced in the apartheid dominated Country for many years. He died in 2010.

Never heard of him? Well, neither had I until I attended the local auction house last week. There were a couple of pictures I was interested in, however, it was an old leather suitcase which caught my eye. From experience I know these things fetch between £20-£30 at car boot sales, so to acquire it for £25 has probably negated any change of a profit on it.

What made me proceed though was the content of the suitcase. It was full of war time programmes magazines and books all relating to the life of Adrian Stanley. My uncle Philip was a thespian and I suspect that is why I was intrigued by the contents. You can read about Philip a bit more here. Falkland Carey, with whom he collaborated on a number of projects, and Philip King dominated the playwright arena at the time Philip was involved. Their big numbers were 'Sailor Beware' and 'Big Bad Mouse'  I was hoping one of the programmes may have mentioned Philip but none did.

So,  if I sell them all for 99p each I will be well wedged up, however, I have a feeling some of the items may be little gems. There is a Bolshoi Ballet programme which is a rarity, there is a series of South African theatre programmes which will be collectable, and there is a first issue of the Penguin theatre guide. My e-bay activity will start next week and I will watch developments with interest.

Adrian Stanley was granted an obituary in the Guardian and other theatre and African related publications. His real name was Stanley Roberts and the suitcase contained three of his school reports from Rock Ferry, Birkenhead his WWII discharge papers relating to the asthma which affected him, diaries chronicling his travels in repertory, as well as a photograph from the Spotlight casting directory of the time. Maybe a family member will be interested in that little lot  It's amazing what a good rummage will unearth.

No comments: