Friday 18 September 2020

Winners circle

 That is a title I have not been able to use for a while, but on Monday I managed to win the first round of the Senior Summer competition with a nett 69. I went round the front nine of Wallasey in a gross 38 or two over par albeit from the yellow tee's. That was progress for me as my golf has definitely been suffering due to too many invitations to play. Unfortunately it was back to reality in the second round when a nett 77 meant I came third overall and was unable to get my name on the silverware, or qualify for the Champion of Champions next season.

There are still a few opportunities to do that though with the Autumn event starting next week together with the Wintergreen and Winter knock-out to follow.

Mixed golf was again to the fore this week as my partner, Norma,  and I were again pipped at the post at the final hole in our latest Winter league match to take our record to a very consistent played three, lost three!! I played with a different lady partner in the mixed foursomes on Sunday though, but that did not go any better. well done to Rob and Bo Palmer for winning the event though. Some luck must have come to somebody that day though as our resident seagull deposited on the prize table!!

That someone may well have been me.  Norma and I broke our duck on Wednesday  when we beat the Ratcliffe's in the Winter league to drag ourselves off the bottom of the table, and then I was part of the winning team at the Visionaries event at Ormskirk. Ormskirk was set up wonderfully well, the sun shone and my team played OK golf which turned out to be enough to triumph.

So a few season highlights all crammed into a short space of time. The joy of the game is seeing how long it can be maintained for!!


No comments: