Wednesday 8 June 2022

Le Golf

People said this golf business would get easier once the captaincy was handed over, but that does not seem the case to me. I am into a run of nine games in 9 days at the moment, although I have to say the first three were of my own making.

A traditional match featuring teachers from the UK against an assorted team of French gentlemen has been going on for some time, and I was asked to take the number 12 shirt at the weekend. We played at The Vale of Llangollen on Saturday with the England team winning 2-1, then on to Wallasey where the lead was increased to 4-2 before the final singles matches at Warrington, sorry, The Warrington golf club. There, in a tense battle, the French won the day 3 1/2 - 2 1/2 but overall victory was that of England by one point.

My match was particularly tense and unknowingly, key to victory. I was 4 up with 4 to play but only 1 up on the 18th. My laser straight drive took a wicked bounce into a fairway bunker and my recovery only left me in another, 135 yards from the green. In the meantime my partner was way left but safe in two. I hit a worldie hybrid onto the green which put pressure on my opponent who failed to deliver and after a lagged first putt we shook hands and the cup was secure.

It was a great three days and should see me on the plane to France next year tres bien. 

No comments: