Tuesday 28 February 2023

Too many, too soon

 Word has just reached me that my good friend at the golf club, Simon Birtles, died sudden,y at the weekend. There were thoughts he had some heart challenges but nothing we considered terminal. It was only towards the end of last year that he played an almost perfect round of golf to set the pace in our 'Ten of the Best' challenge. I always thought of him as being as fit as a butchers dog given he was always away on  cycling tour, usually in the Scottish Highlands and Islands he loved so much.

His sad loss comes hard on the heals of Paul 'Holty' Holt, a strapping 2nd rower at Twickenham Rugby Club. He had been battling ill health for a while and leaves five children behind. Holty was a session musician amongst many other professions he explored in the hospitality industry, and would often belt out Delilah at rugby events and tours. I suspect the banning of the song was one step too far for him. Interestingly over 50 years ago Stu and I of S Club fame went to our first match with Judith Glastonbury. I always thought I had a chance there, but it was difficult to compete against a musician. She became his first wife and produced his three oldest children, musicians every one of them.

I will miss his funeral on Thurday, and also the memorial service for Graham Sims the following day. 'Simsy' was a pest controller and locksmith who also played for Twickenham. He rented a room from me at Chiswick when he had lady challenges and we spent many happy times trying to put him on the right path where the fairer sex was concerned. Simsy had had a brain tumour for many years and while it was operable it was not able to be totally removed, and it got the better of him in the end.

All three friends taken far too early. They will be missed by their families and friendship groups. All three were younger than me so it re-enforces the need to live for the day.

May they rest in peace.

No comments: