Tuesday 25 September 2007

An Ounce of Sense from Brussels

The last topic headline reminded me that I was going to comment on the decision by the faceless ones in the EU to allow the UK and Ireland to continue using their imperial measurement system. A great result for common sense, but sadly its a decision which Steve Thorburn will be unable to celebrate.

Steve was one of the original 'metric martyrs' and was charged with selling banana's by the pound. he received a conditional discharge, but died of a heart attack about three years ago. His colleagues I am sure will have raised a pint to him, and no, two half litres of lager and a packet of crisps does not have the same ring to it, does it?

I was always intrigued that the pop band 10cc got its name from the average capacity of the male ejaculation, but I don't think they would have made it big as 0.352floz. No chance the Rolling Kilogrammes lasting 40+ years either.

There are a few things I am glad we have lost though. The 400m has a much better ring to it than the 440yds, and decimalisation in 1971 certainly made adding up easier. What exactly is a twelve times table?

My favourite comment on metrication though comes from the radio series of ' I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again' . A English girl asked President de Gaulle if it was true that a 32AA bra cup would become an 81. 'Mais Oui' replied the President, ' I always make zee mountain out of zee molehill'

I'll fetch my coat!

No comments: