Monday 29 October 2007

Blimey, Dumbledore a gay, what's all that about then?

One of the joys of beach holidays for me is the ability to catch up with a bit of reading. That's not to say I don't normally read, but the two week stretch does give ample time to blast through the bookshelf backlog.

I started this time with the final Harry Potter book. I had been trying very hard to avoid knowing the ending, and think I did pretty well save for some wretched Welsh Blodwyn blurting something out at a party. It was still a shock though when Lord Voltmort piloted a new Dreamliner straight into the midst of Hogwarts. It was like something out of Emmerdale, and without Dumbledore around to save them, the whole school got decimated. No chance of a Frank Sinatra comeback there then Harry boy!!

I am only jesting of course. I would no more give away the ending to this marvellous tale as I would the Mouse Trap. 'Tunnels' is billed as the next big kids book, but having read it, I can't see it being the cult that the Potter books have been, but we shall see.

Three days it took to read Potter, I then proceed to polish off 'Bring me the Head of Sergio Garcia', a book about a good amateur golfer trying his hand on the pro tour, albeit the third tier tour. Tom Cox was the author, and he did a reasonable enough job. It was interesting though to see how he struggled to break 80 on the tour when he had regularly broken 70 in his amateur events. There is no accounting for pressure. I enjoy a good golf book, reading 'Preferred Lies' by Andrew Greig, last year. Andrew revisited his roots in Scotland after a serious brain injury had almost killed him, and he played golf as a means to blend the various parts of his early life together. It did not have any pace to it as a book, but I guess it did the job for him.

Both these books fell short of my favourite 'Final Rounds', the story of a man, James Dobson, and his father touring England and Scotland together playing the courses his father , Brax, played when he was a GI stationed over here. He was in ill health and it was a now or never trip for them both. It was a very moving and interesting book and just pushes 'A Good Walk Spoiled' into second place.

'Merde Happens' was the third book I managed to finish, the story of an Englishman, French woman and an American driving around the USA in a mini. It is Stephen Clarkes third book and probably had enough in it to get me to read one of his others.

I returned home with 'Sleeping Doll' by Jeffery Deaver, 'Relentless' by Simon Kernick, 'Buried' By Mark Bellingham and 'The Afghan' by Frederick Forsyth, still to read I should have started one of them, but no, I picked up 'Homo Britannicus' by Chris Stringer, the history of Human Life in Britain.

Good looking book, well put together it may be, but its a bit like reading an encyclopedia for recreation.I can't handle the history of voles (Mimomys savini and Arvicola terrestris cantiana) in tracking mans movements across the country or learning about the only record of Britains extinct frog (Pliobatrachus). It does mention Kents Cavern in Torquay though, a trip which we as a family did when we lived in Devon. I am intent on finishing it though, but might skip the history of axe heads and a few other bits to get to the exciting parts of the book. That's assuming there are any of course.

No comments: