Thursday 18 October 2007

Who have you come as then?

Can you believe it? As part of my recent Algarvian tour, I and my fellow tourists dressed one night in Hawaiian shirts, and on another night in our room mates clothes. Yes I know we are grown men, but rugby players never change, even if its on golf tour. Strange as those evenings were, nothing compared with the middle night when we had to dress as favourite Englishmen. Now we were fore warned about this to allow costumes to be prepared and carefully assembled, but I went for the sheet and two belts approach for easy packing.

So as I appeared at the designated bar, dressed as T.E. Lawrence, aka Lawrence of Arabia, who did I spot drinking there already? Yes there was another T.E. Lawrence! Now there were only eight of us on tour, and the other six had chosen Ozzie Osborne, Robin Hood, James Bond, Dick Turpin, Tommy Cooper and Harry Hill. So what are the chases of two people in that small group dressing the same?

Worst of course was to come, as tour rules dictate that when one Lawrence misbehaves and gets fined, both do. We therefore spent all night checking we were both drinking with the correct hand, were addressing the day captains in the correct manner and performed any cunning stunts in a timely and well presented manner. Gosh, was I pleased when mid-night arrived and one could revert to normal!

No comments: