Tuesday 11 December 2007

Bing Crosby

The Christmas theme seemed to take me over this weekend, and it all involved London stuff.

I think its true that the majority of Londoners only do the sights and famous places when they have friends to show round. Its all there on our doorsteps but we never take the time to visit. I can't remember the last time I saw the crown jewels, although I know I have. Likewise a visit to Westminster Abbey, Westminster Cathedral or St Pauls are distant memories.

So this weekend we ventured out,and how pleased we were to do so. On Saturday we went to the Winter Wonderland event at Syon Park in Brentford. Now this magnificent estate is 15 minutes away from home, and while I have been to the garden centre loads of times, this was the first time I had formally entered into the grounds. The whole woodland and lakeside environment had been transformed by a subtle array of lights, lanterns, smoke machines and fountains into a truly magical kingdom, and the shrieks of delight from the children indicated what a successful job the staff had made of it all. It took us over an hour to stroll round, and while I will post some photos on here later, I do wish I had taken my pukka kit rather than used the camera phone. Ah well. The trip finished in the palm house which is a classic of its time with its domed roof, giving the appearance of a glass equivalent of the afore mentioned St Pauls.

As if one adventure was not enough, on Sunday we 'did' Hyde Park. After dark the skating rink, and funfair take on a different appearance, one which was wholly devoid of gangs of kids with hoodies, who all too often make funfairs a place of trepidation and intimidation. The traditional German Christmas market was doing a roaring trade as was the mulled wine stall!

A trip then out into Knightsbridge to view the window dressing in Harvey Nics and Harrods completed a very satisfying weekend. Only two weeks to go......bah humbug!

No comments: