Monday 1 June 2009

Skype's the limit

I have just purchased a NetBook computer, one of the machines which has a 9" screen, and can just about manage internet browsing and a bit of word processing. I brought the HP model 2133 much to my sister-in-laws disgust, but neither IBM or Lenovo make one close to the spec and price.

It comes with Linux, and I was hoping I would be able to embrace that operating system as a learning exercise, as more and more people seem to want to move from Microsoft and so avoid costs and royalty payments. Its proving more difficult than I thought but i am persevering in some of the slack time which I have at the mo.

Unfortunately though, the HP machine does not support microphone support for Skype, and that was another reason I purchased. Our number two son spend over £200 on phone bills when he was recently in the Dominican Republic. That would have paid for him to have a NetBook with Skype on it.

So I am now trying to sort out dual boot with XP and either SUSE 10 or Ubuntu Net Mix, or maybe all three, and then I will have to sort out a foreign trip to see if the grand plan works.

No comments: