Sunday 25 January 2015

Hung Jury

Friday was a co-incidental day. I had two legal documents waiting in the post box on my return from London, both were a bit of a surprise.
I had been dan Sarf to help number one son with some DIY on his new house. It allowed me to spend a few days with him which is something I don't do enough of, and to catch up with some old friends.
I got photographed by one of them here. I also took in the football match between Spurs and Sheffield United. The less said about that the better.

So I returned on Friday after easing a few door and shaving some of their bottoms off. My cousin Mike helped with numerous cups of tea and words of encouragement, not to mention a steady hand in the sawing department.
 
There in the box was the confirmation that I have served a notice of recompense against Scottish Power for the sum of £200 plus additions. They have owed me this money since May, when they took four unauthorised payments from my account before I noticed and stopped the direct debit. I filed the paperwork in the small claims court over the internet and it was all straight forward. My only concern was that their registered offices are in Glasgow and I may, therefore, have to pursue them in Scotland using their less efficient system. As luck would have it, however, they do have an operating office in London so the summons was served there. They have until 4th February to respond so we will see what happens.
 
The other letter was a notification that I am required for jury service in February. As it happens I am away for the time they have requested so I was able to politely decline. I have offered them some alternative dates in December and January next year by which time they may have become disinterested in me.
 
I have done jury service before about 35 years ago in Upper Norwood near Croydon in Surrey. I was on one trial which was concerned with stamp theft. It went on for six or seven days so we were excused after that. It was quite interesting  but hopefully at some point during my next stint, the judge will reach for his black cap and indicate that the defendant be taking to a place to be determined and there be hung by his neck until dead.
 
Not sure that will happen though, hey ho!!

No comments: