Sunday 12 February 2017

A Porsche, a Porsche, my kingdom for a Porsche

The Six Nations rugby season is now well under way. The 'S Club' met up in London last week for the first England match v France, we were joined by a couple of Simon's who qualified by name(!) and various sons and friends, making it a very enjoyable first outing.

5pm kick-off's are always tricky, particularly for the spectators, but we were lucky enough to get a table in the White Horse pub in Richmond, just behind the Red Cow. Apparently the Black Dog, Green Dragon  and Pink Flamingo were all fully booked.

Pre-match discussion centred on business and Brexit, and neither came out too badly, as two of the crew had, only the day before, independently ordered new Porsche's as their new family runabouts.....I really must get those virtual reality goggles out and see what all the fuss is about. I am not sure a Porsche 911 or Boxster would suit me though as I am quite tall  and I am well past the SUV stage. Looks like a Beamer for a few years yet then.

As well as an inconvenience for the crowd, the 5pm kick-off did not seem to appeal to the England team much, and after a very rusty first half they managed to squeeze past a spirited French outfit right at the death. They seemed to adjust better to it yesterday though when they challenged Wales in Cardiff.

It was always going to be a tough day for me. One of my golf chums, George, was making a comeback after falling down the stairs a few weeks ago. George is 83 so its not in his best interests to start free running at his age!! anyway, we got him round 18 holes in one piece, and as it was a team competition we were able to make a good stab at winning. We were 6th in the end, our best result for some time in these things!

I then had Plymouth Argyle v Exeter City, Wales v England and Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspurs to contend with. Argyle did the business 3-0 so that was the most important result of the three. Spurs were blown away by Liverpool, well Mane actually, so that's the title challenge finished for another season, so that left England to continue their quest for a second consecutive grand slam, something never before achieved in the Six Nations era.

Well, it was a proper game of rugger, and one could not have begrudged Wales had they have won, but after getting a battering for the last 20 minutes of the first half, England once more showed their resolve, and not a little skill, to close the game out in the last few minutes. SWMBO and I are off to Snowdonia tomorrow to continue our climbing fitness programme, I might have to turn over a few stones, as I bet I won't be able to find a Welshman when I want one!!

No comments: