Wednesday 6 June 2018

Absent friends

On a Southern softie tour at the moment. I am playing golf tomorrow at Westerham in Kent.It is a memorial day from Andy Richardson who was a leading light in the Algarve golf society and who died suddenly earlier this year. He is the fourth member of the original 16 to be no longer with us.

As a tribute I spent a bit of time putting together a photo book covering all 21 years of the trips. During the information gathering I found out two wives have sadly died recently too. It illustrates how fragile we are.

The photo book was a struggle too. Twenty years ago mobile phones rarely took good photo's, and more recently people took photo's on their phones and either lost them or deleted them. Still I managed to fill 80 pages with the help of Chairman Dick and a few others who dug out some hardcopy photo's, records and songs.

We plan to present Richo's family with a copy which I hope they will like.

Getting here, I have played in the Twickenham RFC past players v present players match. The present players, the 'hero's, won 4.5-3.5 to regain the trophy but myself and Phil Coles won our match 9 & 7. Too little though.

I then stayed a couple of nights with 'off the record' Dick and met up with Stanley making three of the S Club 5 together and fairly sober!

Today I caught up with an old friend Ray Dudman, again, on the golf course and we chatted all things work, retirement and rugby. Ray had a distinguished rugby career with Harlequin's, London Division and the Barbarians and would turn out occasionally for Twickenham when he was returning from injury. He got the better of me today but I think he might struggle around Wallasey if we can factor in a return match.

So a hectic week, back to Scouse Friday and it all starts again up North.

No comments: