Wednesday 9 April 2008

The Moose is Loose

I should be posting more regularly now the vacation silly season at IBM has concluded. In previous years employees were permitted to carry up to five days into the following vacation year, but from 2007 they introduced a 5th April deadline. Use your vacation by then, or lose it. Consequently a large percentage of the Company are away during March and early April. I was no exception.

I have just enjoyed six very pleasant days in Quinta d'Lago near Almancil in Portugal, playing golf for the Moose and Algarve Cups, as well as finding myself embroiled in an unexpected battle for the 'Parrot'.

Twelve like minded individuals participated in the event, and for the Moose Cup they were divided into two teams, The Six Shooters, and The Six Hitters, each player being named after a famous firearm, or a famous one day cricketer. The Moose Cup is competed for each year as a memorial to a previous tourist, Robert Elk, who died some years ago and was affectionately referred to as Moose.

Day one was played on the greens of the Pieneros Altos course, and saw the Hitters take a commanding lead. Day two, on the demanding greens of the Quinta South course saw the Shooters storm back into contention, but a halved contest in the final captains four ball saw the Hitters hold on for a 10.5 v 7.5 victory.

The Algarve Cup is played over four days, with the best three scores counting towards the final total. Scores were low this year, with excess of alcohol and tricky pin positions contributing to the mix. Chris 'Shelter' Anderson ran out winner and his pleasure at winning the trophy was almost matched by his delight at backing himself with the bookie at 13-1 E/W.

I managed to be involved in some notable events during the six days. My co-driver and I were wacked by a Land Rover as we crossed a road in our buggy!!! I managed to drink almost a bottle of Vodka one night, as I was obviously seen as a threat for the title, and nobbled!! and I almost won a trip to Florida for the Greg Norman $10M hole in one challenge, when I pitched my ball six inches from the hole on the nominated qualifying green.

But the highlight of the week was to be presented with the 'Parrot' as a symbol of some outstanding shot making on the course rather than in the bar! Sadly though, the shots mostly went in the wrong direction and I consequently came last. Pretty poor Polly all round!

No comments: