Saturday 29 April 2017

Gordon Greenidge

He used to be half of the great West Indies opening pair with Desmond Haynes  I saw them bat together many times at Lords, and, more recently in Oxton when they batted together for Lashings, an invitation celebrity side.

Today he is playing with me in The Sir Gary Sobers golf festival. Desmond was due to play too, but along with Dwight York, he has scratched. I had a much better day today. A 7am start meant the heat was less oppressive than yesterday. Two lads from Queens in New York and one from Hertfordshire meant we had a bit of cross pond banter, and the golf responded accordingly.

Apes Hill is the new kid on the block and has aspirations to rival Royal Westmoreland. Its holes though were a bit samey off the tee, but the greens were tricky targets. 12,13 and 14 were the standout holes with the obligatory par theee over a lake, the pick of the front nine. I still had my three poor holes but managed to make a few more pars today to move up to eleventh, very much mid table.
A good round at Sandy Lane tomorrow and I could squeeze into the top  six. Managed to keep my lunch away from the monkey's today.

Apes Hill is the centre of the island polo activity and the Williams family who own it, are good friends with Prince Charles and the boys. Chukka anyone?

No comments: