Friday 1 April 2022

Atlanta Athletic Club

 First day of the tour and we arrived at the Athletic Club, Goodness me what a place. You could fit Wallasey golf club footprint into it maybe several times. The place is hugely busy socially with the golf course ticking over.

The course has played host to the US PGA several times and is a shrine to Bobby Jones. It is that which gave us the introduction. The memorabilia is stunning and it was a delight to play there. Unfortunately the polo shirt price blew my budget so will have to sort that on my return

After a very enjoyable drink with our hosts Ian and Jim we made tracks back to Buckhead and the Irish bar, Fado. I had not been in there since 1996 when SWMBO and I watched Mohammed Ali unveiled as the torch lighter for the Olympic Games in Atlanta. SWMBO and I were both volunteers for the event and this was the first time back since then.

Tomorrow Cookie and I will be visiting the Five Paces Inn which I was last in in 1994 when we played Old Whites at rugby. It really is turrning into a bit  of a homage trip!


No comments: