Wednesday 27 June 2007

Ice Cold in Alex

I have constantly been turned down for membership of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA), as I lack the prerequisite sandals, beard and beer gut, although the last of those is starting to develop under my increasingly tight shirt. Nonetheless, I take a keen interest in the subject, and am happy to sample the products whenever an opportunity presents itself.

I have indicated before that maybe there will be a revitalisation of the bitter ale market, when youngsters start drinking what their Grandfathers drink, as a rebellion against their dads, and it was encouraging at 'Camp Dick' last weekend to see the youngsters happily downing foaming pints of bitter.

Imagine my surprise then when I heard that Fuller, Smith and Turner, they of the beloved 'London Pride' are to encourage people to drink their bitter on ice!!! Now before hardened Pride drinkers splutter into their pints, I should reassure them that initial trials will be conducted using bottled 'Honey Dew' bitter, a light summer ale more suited to chilling that Pride itself.

The success of Magners cider in convincing people to drink their product over ice has clearly had an influence here, and it will be interesting to see what take up the Honey Dew approach has.

Personally I find it hard to have a sesh on fizzed up beer or cold lager and am still amazed that so many people can, however, anything that may help the traditional British pint of bitter last the test of time is well worth a try.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Richard Donkin said...

If you ask me it's just a new way to water down the beer.

Dick