Wednesday 20 June 2007

I'm stumped

Well, I seem to be getting back into the fitness regime. In late September last year I ran my first ever 10k. It took place in Chiswick and the course stretched from Kew bridge to Chiswick Bridge and back, finishing at the Chiswick business park in Gunnersbury. it was part of their Yellow Umbrella day I took just over 75 minutes which was OK, but I had aimed for less than 70, still for a first attempt it was fine. My wife, eldest son and his girlfriend were there with banners to cheer me over the last few hundred yards.

I had been very diligent with the training even to the extent of making a New Years resolution to drink 2 litres of water a day, and I had a BUPA training plan to follow up until the last six weeks, when I reverted to the Yellow Umbrella plan.

That was nearly nine months ago, so I thought it about time to recharge the batteries. I do various routes on the roads around Scouseland, some hilly and a couple on the flat, as well as running round one or both of the parks which constitute Birkenhead Park.

It is a little known fact that Birkenhead Park was the design inspiration for Central Park in New York City. I have yet to see Batman or Lincoln Rhyme on my runs though.

When I am in the metrolopse however, I run in the Lensbury club in Teddington. I find the air in Chis a bit too polluted for me these days. Anyway I am up to a steady 2.5K at the moment and will build up to 5k over the next few weeks.

The Lensbury club used to be the pride and joy of the Shell Corporation and one had to work for Shell to be a member, or be a retiree or family thereof. That's how I joined. It is now, however, a commercially run organisation although i think the buildings are still owned by Shell, who are effectively the landlords.

Unfortunately when it went private, it signalled an influx of ankle biters and the design of the club has been changed radically to accommodate them. There are adult only areas but overall it is a family oriented environment. Fair do's to them though, they spend the money on food and drink and activities, all of which are premium price.

The changing rooms in the gym, are segregated for men and women, obviously, but also for adults and children. There is an over 18 men only area and a family changing facility. Elderly gentlemen in Speedo's is however, not a sight I am particularly keen on, so I tend to use the large changing area, and its here I have a problem...or may have uncovered a new law of human behaviour to rival Murphy and Boyle.

The walls are surrounded by lockers, and it is a fact that when you come back into the changing area, the person next to you or beside you is at their locker or has selected that one to use to change. Today I was the only one in there when I changed. When I returned somebody was in the one next door....if they are vacant they have a key in so out of 50 lockers only one did not have a key. You would think that might have given him a clue!!

I have yet to think of a suitable name for this Law, Law 39 is the best I can come up with, but a few pints of Pride may inspire me.

No comments: