Friday 15 June 2007

You on yer own luv?

Last night I stayed at the Charlcote Pheasant hotel in Warwickshire. A lovely setting for a hotel, but the venue doesn't quite do it for me. The public areas are a bit dingy, with the bar small and lacking in atmosphere. The beer was fairly poor as well.

The Charlcote Pheasant is a tourist and business hotel, although it may not have too many singletons like me. Coachloads of Japanese or groups attending for conferences seem to be the norm.

City centre hotels do, however have a large percentage of single occupants and as a result, single diners. last night rather than be 'billy no-mates' in the hotel I found a rather pleasant pub, the Boars Head, where I had convivial conversation with the landlord and a couple locals.

Now, why do hotels not cotton on to the fact that people need people. I think there is a market for hotels to employ a conversationalist who hosts a large table, say for eight people, in the hotel restaurant. Single business people could be offered the option to sit with the host, and fellow singletons, and feel part of the place.

Who knows, the next night a few of them might choose to dine or go out together. The communal table can then host a whole new intake.

If I was away for any length of time, I would love to offer my services as such a table host.

No comments: