Friday 10 July 2020

Ashes to Ashes

The first week as Captain has been one of sadness as today we buried our good friend John Williams. John was a stalwart of the senior section and had been for many years. He was nearly 87 years old and had recently become an honorary member. This title is bestowed when your age and membership years totals to some very high number!!

John was for many years a member of the dawn patrol, a group who would venture out early on a Sunday morning. In the past, all new members would be invited to play with them to allow them to meet existing members of the Club and so extend their social circle. While the dawn patrol name lives on, the new member tradition has fallen by the wayside in that respect.

John and his wife Sylvia were compulsive cruisers, usually with P & O. and I used to call him my cruise consultant as there was not a port of call that he could not name a beach to go to or places to see, or occasionally just recommend you stayed on the ship!! Unfortunately their last cruise was caught up in Coronavirus politics and nobody would let the ship dock so they had to sail home. John you will  be sorely missed.

My other main duty this week was to play out in front of the Scratch team against Bromborough, but bad weather forced our Captains four ball to be cancelled. I hope to have better luck at Prenton next week.

I managed to survive  three medal rounds without an increase in handicap, and just missing out on the places by virtue of a bad hole here and there. Tomorrow I will feel like I am a member of the dawn patrol myself as I tee off at 07:30 as part of my 'meet the members' initiative. That's another medal, will my luck hold I wonder? 

No comments: