Sunday 5 July 2020

The year starts here

A few months later than planned, I have finally been invested as Captain of Wallasey golf club, along with the Lady Captain, and what a fine pair we make.

So hopefully there will now be some activity to be able to report, and a history which this blog can capture. We were voted into office via a Zoom AGM, which,  for those who have not yet discovered the medium, is an on-line conferencing facility. It has grown in popularity during the lockdown as family and friends have used it to keep in touch with each other.

We have been running our Council meetings using it but with social distancing rules being relaxed recently we could both be in the same room for the AGM and hence the photo opportunity.

My first duty was to drive to the Club and make sure my car fitted into the Captain's parking space!! I have never had my own parking space before as living in London for many years, I had to fight the other neighbours for a space in the road which was not under a tree, as the pigeons used to take delight in depositing on the cars overnight!

The first golf experience yesterday was interspersed with members wishing me good luck for a successful remainder of the year, and there is promise of a second term if I keep my nose clean during the first one!  The golf was actually quite pleasing albeit I look 7 to get off the 6th tee which rather scuppered my chances of posting a competitive score.

This coming week see's me playing in competitions on Monday and Wednesday, and sandwiched in between is an opportunity to play with my Bromborough year group captain as we go out for a thrash prior to the scratch team match between our clubs. I understand these matches used to be a bit of a bun fight afterwards, but nowadays the good amateur golfers are themselves fit athletes ( mostly) so they limit themselves to soft drinks. I think its up to the Captains to down the ale.

I am aiming to meet as many members as I can throughout my year, so have spread my Saturday tee times randomly in the next few weeks. Its a 07:30 tee off on Saturday, a time I had no idea existed!! Let's see how that goes and then I will be able to report back on the week and post what is scheduled in the future. The highlight I suspect will be a visit to 'Royal' Bidston.

No comments: