Monday 27 July 2020

Technical Knock-out

This week has been gruelling. I have played five consecutive days, when I promised myself that three would be my maximum. The problem is previous Captains have said .Say yes to everything, so I am!!

It started on Tuesday with another scratch team competition, this time at Caldy. IPC Simon and I won our Captains challenge on the 18th hole and the scratch team won 3-0 to maintain their 100% record. A win against Heswall tomorrow will see them win the East Cheshire scratch league. Whether there will be a play-off against the West Cheshire Champions remains to be seem.

On Wednesday I played my knock-out match in the Senior section and managed to carve out a win 2 & 1. It was a bit disjointed as we were a two ball racing round the course and several 4 ball groups stood aside to allow us through. That then caused us both to rush and make a complete mess of our game startegy. Hey ho, I am into the quarter finals and await news of who my opponent will be.

Thursday saw a Wallasey team take on the Wirral Police in an annual fixture at the Club. I partnered the Wallasey chairman against the Captain of the Police and his colleague. We ran out winners again and were lucky with the golf and the fact that we were able to stay dry on the patio while eating out after match meal. I said a few words which I hope went down well, and left the taxi based players to have a few more tinctures.

I was fortunate enough to be invited to play at Prestbury on Friday with Steve Williams, who is a member there and at Wallasey. we ere joined by the Prestbury captain and the President of the Cheshire Union of Golf Clubs. Both organisations are celebrating their Centenary this year, but sadly have had to put everything on hold until 2021. the Sandiway club are in a similar position. We had a most enjoyable round, in which I played some of my most consistent golf for sometime, finally posting a nett 69 off the white tee's with a couple of gimmies, but Mr president parred the final hole to halve the match.

Saturday is best forgotten, as I parred the first and the 18th but what went on in  between was not the best. it is so frustrating how two days can be so different, but fatigue certainly played a part..

I was at the Club yesterday for my first official duty which was to present the cup to the winner of the Club Championship. This is a 36 hole gross tournament played in one day and the conditions were very, very testing. Dylan Thompson won with two rounds of 74 which was excellent golf on the day and after I got to say a few words somebody took a photo!

This week will be a bit quieter, the clubhouse may open and we can take another step down the path to normality.


No comments: